Getting to Big Bear today is easy. However their was once a time when tourists had to travel two or three days to get here, over roads that should have been called trails. Check out this historical section to see what it was like getting to Big Bear in those early years.
In the early 1880's, Big Bear Village, Fawnskin, and Big Bear City didn't exist. The only community in Big Bear Valley was a little mining town at the north/east end of Baldwin Lake called Baird’s town, and the only two roads into the valley were actually trails.The...read more
The last sections of the old historic bridge across the Big Bear Lake dam are being removed. The bridge was built back in 1924. Note: The copyrighted information in this article have been presented here with permission from Rick Keppler.read more
As of September 24, 2011, the removal of the old bridge across the top of the Big Bear Lake dam is about two thirds complete. Note: The copyrighted information in this article have been presented here with permission from Rick Keppler.read more
Demolition continues on the old bridge across the top of the dam at Big Bear Lake. The removal project is about one third complete. Here is another image of the bridge at Big Bear Lake when it first opened in 1924. Note: The copyrighted information in this article...read more